Yamunotri - 2 April 2017
Kedarnath - 2 May 2017
What to Wear?
Summers: Carry moderate woolen clothing to keep yourself warm.
Winters: Can get very cold. Pack heavy woolens including monkey cap, hand gloves, sweaters / pullover, and woolen socks.
In case of any medical emergency, call 108. (The Mobile emergency service from Government of Uttarakhand). Please do not make fake calls, as it is punishable offence.
Driving Safety Tips
Chardhams is a particularly scenic drive that you'll remember through your lifetime. Please drive safely while enjoying your trip.
- Always keep your vehicle on left side of the Road.
- Use Horn at curves on hills.
- Use shoes instead of slippers while driving.
- Always give way to upcoming vehicle / vehicles.
- Keep your valid vehicle's documents with you to avoid inconvenience.
- Steering duty should not be more than Eight hours a day.
- Use Dippers at night and appropriate signals on Road while Driving.
- Check your Brakes and Hand Brakes before starting journey.
- Drive slowly on the hills.
- Before journey, make sure that fuel tank of your vehicle is full, in case of landslides you might have to take alternate longer routes.
- In case of traffic jam, park your vehicle at the end of the queue. If you initiate a parallel queue, the traffic from other side might force you to drive in reverse gear, till you reach again at end of the original queue. And you may find it very difficult to drive long in reverse gear on a hilly road.
- Check the Headlights, Break light and Parking lights of your vehicle.
- Ensure to refuel, where ever easily you get chance, during season there might be long queues in Petrol Pumps at main stations.
- If you are using public vehicle, ensure that the Driver of the vehicle is following all rules properly.
- Prior Hotel Bookings is a must.
- While on high altitude, eat only what is cooked over there.
- Carry sufficient heavy woolens clothes including sweaters, woolen thermal body warmers, trousers, monkey caps, mufflers and any other cold fighting apparel. Also wind sheeters, raincoats, sleeping bags, blankets, water proof shoes with sufficient grips, small water proof tents, torch with sufficient batteries and walking sticks should also be carried. Ladies are advised to wear body hugging clothing like Salwar Kamiz, pants, etc instead of sarees.
- Cover your head with Monkey cap or any other woollen clothes while on high altitude to avoid hill-sickness, giddiness etc., at Badrinath, Kedarnath, Gangotri, Yamunotri.
- Carry dry eatable stocks with you like biscuits, Sugar, Candies, Chocolates, milk powder, assorted dry fruits, honey, lemons and tinned foods and other items suiting your palates. Also carry Water bottle, spoons, tumblers, saucers and plates.
- Trek only on hill-side, avoid trekking or standing on valley side, as pony (horse) coming from opposite direction may push you down to the valley which may cause serious casualty.
- Only registered pony walla, porter, dandy man may be hired as they are available for prefixed tariffs.
- To avoid inconvenience, ponies carrying luggage and eatables should remain with you all the time. At no point of time should you should not get out of touch with them at any point of time. While carrying your luggage through the porters tie it properly as to avoid any loss of luggage.
- While on trekking, trek in one motion (Slow step), avoid any competition. Maintain discipline. Move slowly and steadily, as this is a laborious pilgrimage.
- Instructions of Yatra officer should be strictly followed. Respect customs of locals.
- Tap-Water is available at every place, use only tap-water or boiled water can be obtained from local chatty (tea-shop) on free of charges during on trekking.
- You should Carry sufficient money to pay for your personal expenses during the journey.
- It is always advisable to carry your own personal medical kit and First aid kit containing Iodex / Relexil, Vicks Ointment or Vicks candid, Novalgine or any painkiller tablet, Bandage, Antiseptic Ointment, Intestopan/Imosecs for Diarrhea, Any other medicine prescribed by your doctor if you have B.P or any other problems.
- Put sweet candid in the mouth, use electrol / gulcon in water while trekking.
- While hiring pony / doli / local laborer if tea / meals is offered to them, they provide better services or take more care of you.
- Don’t litter.
- Don’t overstrain on steep gradients.
- Places where warning signs are fixed should not be used for relaxation.
- Don’t break traffic discipline.
- Heavy jewellery should be avoided during journey.
- Don’t try to wash hands/ clothes/ bath in the rivers on the way.
- Alcohol is strictly prohibited.
- Never overtake an overtaking vehicle.
- Never drive an overloaded vehicle.
- Don't compete with local vehicles / drivers while driving. They know the terrain very well.