Guests often have a lot of questions about the Chardham Yatra and we at Leisure Hotels are here to aid you through your Chardham Journey.
When does the Chardham Yatra begin?
Chardham yatra opens on the auspicious day of Akshay Tritiya of Chaitya month and remains open until the day of Bhai Dooj (two days of Diwali).
How long does the Yatra take?
Depending on your starting point, the yatra will take you 11 to 12 days. Char Dham yatra begins with a visit to Yamunotri Dham- the holy shrine dedicated to goddess Yamuna. A 36 Km drive from Barkot, followed by a 7 km trek will get you to the place where the river Yamuna is said to have originated. You can choose to start your yatra from Delhi, Haridwar, Rishikesh and Dehradun according to your convenience.
Which places will be covered as part of the Chardham Yatra?
- Char Dham yatra begins with a visit to Yamunotri Dham- the holy shrine dedicated to goddess Yamuna.
- A 36 Km drive from Barkot, followed by a 7 km trek will get you to the place where the river Yamuna is said to have originated. Barkot also connects to Uttarkashi from which is just about 100 Kms from the Gangotri Dham- the next stop in your yatra.
- Kedarnath can be driven to from Rudraprayag, which is about 180 Kms from Uttarkashi. A 21 km trek up the mountain will take you to awe-inspiring Kedarnath Dham.
- Rudraprayag is also just 160 Kms away from Badrinath Dham, which is the final dham in your yatra. From Badrinath, there are a number of routes that’ll lead you back to Delhi via Haridwar.
Which the best place to camp in during the Chardham Yatra?
Chardham Camps by Leisure Hotels is one of the best options for your stay during your Chardham Yatra. These camps are strategically located close to all the shrines. These camps are well-equipped with running hot water and free Wi-Fi.
At what time do the Chardham Rituals start?
- The rituals at the Char Dhams begin early in the morning at 4:30 A.M with the Abhishek Aarti.
- They open for darshan for the general public usually between 7 A.M. and 8 A.M. and remain open up to 8:30 P.M., when the Shayan aartis are performed.
- There is an afternoon recess between 1 to 4 pm. Guests are advised to head back to their accommodations by 6 as the weather gets cold.
What are the other places of interest that can be covered during the Chardham Yatra?
- 19 Kms from Gangotri, Gaumukh, the sacred snout of the Gangotri Glacier, is one such place.
- Tapovan, a beautiful golden meadow resting above the Gangotri Glacier can also be visited during your trip. You can also have a nice view of Bhagirathi Peaks from Tapovan Meadow.
- Bhauravnath Temple, Vasuki Tal - a mountain lake 8 km from Kedarnath, Chopta, Auli, Hemkund Sahib,The Valley of Flowers National Park are all picturesque regions that can be covered during your yatra
What points should I keep in my mind before embarking on my Char Dham Yatra?
- Age bracket : Between 7 and 65 years.
- Medical certification required.
- Camps are equipped with first-aid kits and oxygen cylinders, but we advice that you carry an oxygen cylinder for the journey.
- Trekking shoes are a necessity
- Warm jackets, Sweaters, Gloves, Woollen Socks, raincoats are also a must as the weather can get chilly.
How feasible is it to take parents and grandparents along?
- The route is straight from Haridwar via Rishikesh.
- Plenty of buses are available, but it is better to take a taxi when traveling with senior citizens.
- The route comes across certain steep climbs at a height of about 1000 feet.
- It is advised to carry medicines along with plenty of water and food.
- Badrinath can be reached by foot easily, but for senior citizens there are alternate options like "pithu".
Can people above 50 years with a good health handle the Kedrinath Trek?
- It is a 21 kilometer trek one way, which is quiet a lot of distance for a senior citizen.
- It is a difficult trek but people with a good health can handle this.
- You will have to spend one night in Kedrinath Ji place as the entire trek cannot be covered in one day.
Is the trip suitable for heart patients?
- The trip is not very suitable for heart patients by foot, the best way is to take a helicopter.
- The 2 destinations becomes very tiring and hence helicopter would be the best option.
What kind of medical facilities are provided in the Yatra?
- In the Chardam camps there are first aid services along with oxygen cylinders.
Frequently Asked Questions about Chardham Camps
Can the payment be done after finishing the tour?